Too often, when we talk about 'justice' today, we become embroiled in political debate. But for Christians, concerns about justice are not primarily political--they are spiritual. The Hebrew word for 'justice' occurs over 400 times in the Bible, not including Jesus' and Paul's teachings in the New Testament. Join us as we explore what Scripture has to say about issues we continue to face today and, together, consider how we can act justly in our lives of faith. We hope these resources will help supplement your exploration of these topics beyond Sunday mornings.
Week One: Prejudice
Featured Scripture: John 4:1-29
Learn about your personal bias inventory here.
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
- Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman
- Healing Our Broken Humanity: Practices for Revitalizing the Church and Renewing the World by Grace Ji-Sun Kim and Graham Hill
- Welcoming and Affirming: A Guide to Supporting and Working with LGBTQ+ Christian Youth by Leigh Finke
- Nobody Cries When We Die: God, Community, and Surviving to Adulthood by Patrick B. Reyes
- A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King Jr.
- My Body Is Not A Prayer Request: Disability Justice in the Church by Amy Kenny
- RISE: A Pop History of Asian America from the Nineties to Now by Yang,Yu, Wang
- Asian American | PBS Documentary Special
Week Two: Homelessness
Featured Scripture: Isaiah 58:6-12
- Grace Can Lead Us Home: A Christian Call to End Homelessness by Kevin Nye
- "Justice in the Bible" | Article by Tim Keller
- "Homelessness in the Old World" | Ault Bradley
- Is God 'In Control'? | N.T. Wright Online
What can I do?
Our Mission Team has partnered with several local organizations that are helping those experiencing homelessness and they are always looking for volunteers to assist with their vital programs.
- On the second Sunday of every month, the Mission Team has committed to providing a meal at Union Station Homeless Services and volunteer groups are needed! Click here to view our Sign Up form.
- Friends in Deed, operating out of Pasadena, has served the local homeless community for over 125 years. To volunteer with them, visit their website here.
- Union Rescue Mission serves the greater L.A. area and our annual partnering events are coming up soon! Every May, URM holds a Donation Drive. Clothing and Household items are always welcome. And in June, you can join our 'SMCC Steppers' for the URM Annual 5k Run/Walk at the Rose Bowl.
Week Three: Human Trafficking
Featured Scripture: Psalm 146:5-9 & Galatians 3:28-29
- Reimagining Los Angeles County's Approach to Human Trafficking
- Human Trafficking: Myths, Facts, & Statistics
Organizations to Know:
Week Four: Wealth Inequality
Featured Scripture: Luke 12:13-21
- Decolonizing Wealth by Edgar Villanueva
- Materiality as Resistance: Five Elements for Moral Action in the Real World by Walter Brueggemann
Week Five: Creation Care
Featured Scripture: Genesis 2:15-17
- The Distillery | A Podcast by Princeton Theological Seminary
Week Six: Immigration
- The Bible and Borders: Hearing God’s Word on Immigration by M. Daniel Carroll R.
- Burning Center, Porous Borders: The Church in a Globalized World by Eleazar S. Fernandez
- The God Who Sees: Immigrants, the Bible, and the Journey to Belong by Karen Gonzalez
- Immigrant Faiths: Transforming Religious Life in America by Karen I. Leonard, et al.